Join our community of friends of typography!

Recreating a lost logo for START Center for Cancer Care

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

Ashley Sledge

Our client had this logo created for them and has lost the original art file/contact with the original design company.

We were able to ID the font for "Center for Cancer Care" and "The cure starts here." as Century Gothic, however, this does not hold for the "STRT" characters in the logo above. Due to the squish, it's been difficult to ID.

The logo can be found online here: http://thestartcenter.com/

Thank you.

20190725_151849.jpg

albinococonut
On 7/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, Kevin Thompson said:

Appears to be SF Grandezza, with a stroke added to the “heavy” weight to make it even heavier.

I'm in awe at your skills. That's an amazing level of knowledge.

Kevin Thompson

Nothing terribly remarkable about it, I’m afraid.

I started participating in this and other type identification boards about seven years ago, mostly to expand my knowledge of both historical and modern type.

I can only recognize about 25% of what gets posted, based on my personal knowledge. If the sample resembles something I do know, I can then use tools like identifont.com or fontsinuse.com to bring up lists of similar typefaces, and by going through those lists often can identify another 25% or so of samples.

A reverse image search, via Google Images or Tineye.com, can often lead me to a designer's portfolio or other website where the typeface used is discussed or can be deduced by other means (such as if it is used for HTML type on a website, which means it can be identified by looking at the page code). Often a simple Google search on a company name (if the sample is a logotype) and the word “branding” will lead me to an answer.

If none of those techniques yield results, I then run the sample through font recognition software (there are several free online options, and I own another that compares the sample not only to my own extensive font collection, but to an online database as well). That either yields a match, or identifies similar typefaces that take me back to identifont.com and fontsinuse.com for more research.

For typefaces older than 1950, I also consult digital versions of historical type specimens (available online in PDF form), many of which I collected thanks to the links posted on this forum by Ralf Herrmann, the forum creator and admin. I also own several physical type specimen books that cover moveable metal and wood type, phototype, and digital typefaces.

• Like 1
albinococonut

Wow, this is super helpful to know. I'm trying to identify a script font which I discovered on a logo generator site. So, I can't user the techniques of reverse image searching. I've tried using online tools, but I can't get them to recognize this script because all the letters are connected. So, I'm sort of feeling at a dead end. Any ideas?

Ralf Herrmann
7 hours ago, albinococonut said:

Wow, this is super helpful to know. I'm trying to identify a script font which I discovered on a logo generator site. So, I can't user the techniques of reverse image searching. I've tried using online tools, but I can't get them to recognize this script because all the letters are connected. So, I'm sort of feeling at a dead end. Any ideas?

You would need to open the font in an image editor and cut the letters so they stand by themselves. Takes a little bit of work, but it usually works to identify the font. I do it all the time.