Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Serif font for blogging

Nattawan Worachat

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a good/beautiful serif font to use in my personal blog www.natts.me. As big header, I used Proxima Nova Condensed black and subheading is Adobe Caslon - which is quite nice in my opinion. But I am still not sure about the body font. Right now, I am using PT Serif. Should I use Adobe Caslon as well? I am afraid that it would be difficult to read.

Thanks for your help.

Riccardo Sartori

It would help knowing what is your budget, or which typefaces you already have access to.

That said, I see that the blog uses Typekit/Adobe Fonts. Since Adobe Caslon’s thin strokes could look a bit too thin for comfortable screen reading at text sizes, if it’s included in your plan, for the body copy you could use a cut of Caslon optimised for it, like Williams Caslon Text.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

It would help knowing what is your budget, or which typefaces you already have access to.

That said, I see that the blog uses Typekit/Adobe Fonts. Since Adobe Caslon’s thin strokes could look a bit too thin for comfortable screen reading at text sizes, if it’s included in your plan, for the body copy you could use a cut of Caslon optimised for it, like Williams Caslon Text.

Thank you for your help - I'm going to try that out. For now I am using Adobe Typekit and I would also stay there. I was thinking about using Georgia, but it's a non-profit personal blog and using Adobe Typekit with my Wordpress Theme is not complicated as using Georgia. I also found a font "Calluna". Doesn't look that bad.

You could also use Linux Libertine, included in Libertine fonts (http://libertine-fonts.org/). It goes under Open Font License and covers many languages. Moreover, having local font files, you would skip tracking from Adobe on your website.

We have some serif free font recommendations here: 

But if you have access to Adobe webfonts, I would rather search there. You probably want your blog to have it’s own look and using system fonts like Georgia or common open source fonts won’t achieve that. 

• Like 1

Hello guys, I want to thank you for your help. I've decided to use Myriad Pro of Typekit first, with the reason that somehow a sans serif font looks more friendlier to "me" and I don't want my blog to be like a newspaper and such. It seems that serif fonts and I haven't become good friends until today.

However, I got in love with TT Commons of Typetype and I am planning to buy them for my website soon or later. Yes, it's expensive for a personal use, but I love them. For now I am happy about how my website is and I'm going to focus on the content (finally).

Thank you again!