Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Searching for the font used on David Attenborough's Bookcovers.

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

Greg Yerbury

I have looked at similar fonts URW Classico, Optima etc close but no cigar. 

Edited by Greg Yerbury
typo
  • Like 1
Riccardo Sartori

A glyphic design with some distinctive lowercase letters (|f|g|t|) and very round counters.

After extensive research, I haven’t found a match. Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to have been transitioned to digital.

A possible, less quirky, alternative could be the fairly recent (2015) Clasica Sans.

Ralf Herrmann
23 minutes ago, JacquesHard said:

Why don't you think that it has been digitalized?

Because we would have probably found it by now if it were. 😉 

It might be worth to ask the designer of Classica Sans where the inspiration came from. I think there is a very good chance it is based on the phototypesetting font used for the books. 

Greg Yerbury

It is a typeface that, I think, should have a commercial revival, as it is quite distinctive. 

Edited by Greg Yerbury
Kevin Thompson

I sent an email to the folks at Letterbox, for whom Heather Walker did the digitization. They said they had concluded that a commercial release would require permission of Wayne’s estate (he died in 2011); they might consider publishing the design if that could be achieved.

• Like 2