Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Typefaces to recreate Swedish encyclopedia "Nordisk Familjebok"?

Go to solution Solved by Les,

muntzing

I’m trying to recreate designs from the Swedish encyclopedia "Nordisk Familjebok", published 1904–1926.

• Could the serif typeface be a condensed version of Clarendon? (So far, the only condensed Clarendons I’ve found are too bold and lack italics). SchoolBook Condensed from ParaType is also reasonably close, but lacks italics.
  • Regarding the sans serif, I have no clues.
  • Both free and commercial suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance, fellow typographers!

nordisk familjebok.jpg

• Solution
Les

For the sans you might get away with Arial Narrow or Condensed (Bold). For the serif try any one of the multitude of 'Century's', possibly 'Expanded' or '725' from Bitstream. Or do a search for 'Scotch' at a place like 'MyFonts' (paid) or Da Font (free).

muntzing

Thanks a lot! Century Modern (https://www.fontspace.com/cioroianu-stefan/century-modern) showed to be a great choice here since it has lovely rough edges. I had to scale it horizontally a bit, the italic doesn’t have the same slant as the one in the encyclopedia, but it’s more than close enough for my needs. (See attached image). I’ll check out your sans serif suggestions next.

Thanks once again!

century.png

muntzing

Thanks for the Arial narrow/condensed suggestion. Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold worked even better! Which really boggles my mind since it wouldn’t be invented until many decades later. Anyway, problem solved thanks to Les!

helvetica neue.png