Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Room on the Broom: cover of UK version

Meddysong

I'm currently pagesetting a translation of Room on the Broom. Since I'm from the UK, the version of Room on the Broom which I know is the English one. It means that, to me, this is the 'official logotype', and so I'd like to replicate it.

A1oPOgH1AmL.jpg

There are no non-Latin glyphs in the translation, so whichever font produced the English logotype should be fine.

It seems to me that no other translation uses this same font, so I'm not hopeful. Is there anything similar which you you could recommend in the event that it's not possible to identify this one?

Gecko
5 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

That looks like a clone of Curlz.

Riccardo I have both Curlz and Old Comedy and you are absolutely correct, my version of curlz is credited to: Steve Matteson and Carl Crossgrove 1996. My version of Old Comedy is Copyright (c) A.Gophmann, 2006. All rights reserved. I don't know who A.Gophmann is but it looks identical to Curlz. The only difference I can see is Curlz has 299 glyphs and Old Comedy has 389 glyphs. Plagiarism.

Gecko

So I just did a quick search for A.Gophmann and here is the answer according to Luc Devroye: 
http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-43962.html

Alexandra Leopoldovna Gophmann 

Russian designer of typefaces who collaborates with Ivan Zeifert and specializes in revivals, cyrillizations and beautiful digitizations, some of them done with Anatole Gophmann. There have been complaints about her practice of borrowing fonts from type designers without asking. One typophile writes: I have cracked open fonts she claims as hers, Bolero, Bickham and others, she has copied and pasted glyphs, copyright data, added Cyrillic and changed the copyright string. As an example, Angelica is a copy of Alejandro Paul's Miss Fajardose. Alejandro has drawn the numerals in his font in 2004 to accompany the letters found in an old catalog of alphabets. There is no other source of the numerals, and Angelica has them. Michael Clark writes: I initiated a battle with the illustrious Alexandra "Bitch" from Russia who has renamed Pouty (FontBureau) and copyrighted [it as] Bolero. She and her partner Anatoly shithead. Available on Fonts101.com for anyone who wants it free. The ass's site, Jagdesh, is in Pakistan and we cannot touch him. 260+ viewings and 140+ downloads. Let's see that is 1400$ I will never see! Others have complained as well about her practice of taking and extending fonts without permission. 

The cyrillization would explain those extra glyphs.

• very interesting! 1