Join our community of friends of typography!

Looking for the font from this video game cover (3D Stock Cars II)

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Jamie Stewart

Hi. I'm trying to work out what the font used on this old video game cover is. 

I've used the automatic finder sites out there and the closest I've come is the Helvetica family but none of them look quite right. Is anyone able to narrow it down?

Thanks.

cover - Copy.png

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori
8 hours ago, Jamie Stewart said:

Helvetica family but none of them look quite right.

It looks like they used some heavy weight of a version of Helvetica (probably Neue Helvetica, judging by the leg of |R|) or Helvetica clone/knock-off, and artificially condensed it (“CARS” more than “STOCK”), and they perhaps also emboldened it.

For a cheap quick-and-dirty job in recreating it you can maybe start with the old version of Roboto (for the |R|) and the new version (for the |K|), both of which are already more condensed than Helvetica.

• Like 2
Jamie Stewart
2 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

It looks like they used some heavy weight of a version of Helvetica (probably Neue Helvetica, judging by the leg of |R|) or Helvetica clone/knock-off, and artificially condensed it (“CARS” more than “STOCK”), and they perhaps also emboldened it.

For a cheap quick-and-dirty job in recreating it you can maybe start with the old version of Roboto (for the |R|) and the new version (for the |K|), both of which are already more condensed than Helvetica.

Thanks Riccardo, I'll give that a try.