The type specimens of the world in one database …

Looking for the font used for the Acura RL 2004 Navigation System

Go to solution Solved by Gecko,

Ferj

Hello everyone, I came across this font on the navigation system of my Acura RL 04 and was curious if anyone here could actually identify it.

I've spoken to a couple of typography communities and got some suggestions like Eurostyle and Microgamma. I could see the similarities, but with closer inspection they aren't the exact font.

What do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 11.35.28 AM.png

Ferj

Indeed, that's what I thought at first. But there were two things that stood out for me-

First, the font used in the navigation system had more rounded corners and softer edges compared to the Eurostyle and Microgamma fonts. The Eurostyle and Microgamma fonts have sharper edges that can be seen at the top and bottom of each letterform.

Second, as shown in the attached image below, the holes or the counter in the letter A are more circular vs the obvious triangle used in the Eurostyle and Microgramma fonts. The distinction is also clear when you compare the letter N as shown below.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 9.18.16 AM.png

Riccardo Sartori
1 hour ago, Ferj said:

with closer inspection they aren't the exact font

Unfortunately, your sample isn’t clear enough for closer inspection.

The differences you mention could be caused by the metallic effect applied and/or by the low resolution screen.

That said, while Microgramma and Eurostile are among the the originators of this kind of style, a favourite in the automakers industry, there are hundreds of similar typefaces either “inspired by” or downright copying them.

Also, more often than not, car manufacturers tend to use custom typefaces.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
Huttah93

Hello, I stumbled across this thread looking for an answer to this exact question. I am by no means a font identification extraordinaire, but I do happen to have a copy of the source image in its highest resolution (which, mind you, isn't that high for a small screen of a car from 15 years ago). Hopefully this helps aid in @Ferj's search as well as my own.

Back.jpg