The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Identifying typefaces from a publication printed in London 1906

Go to solution Solved by George Thomas,

Shani Avni

Hello!
I'm writing a short article about a Hebrew journal that was printed in London in 1906–1907 by the author Yosef Haim Brenner who was one of the pioneers of modern Hebrew literature. He wrote, edited, administered, type-set and printed his monthly journal - all by himself! He did it in Israel Naroditsky's print shop that was located in 48 Mile End Road, East End London. 
There are a few Latin typefaces he used that I'd like some help with identifying them.
I think I was able to identify the display type: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/imgsrv/download/pdf?id=umn.31951002117126r;orient=0;size=100;seq=246;attachment=0 from "Specimens of printing types and illustrated catalogue of printing materials" by H.W. Caslon & Company, Limited, 1905".
I'm very curios about the others and would appreciate any help identify them.

London_Feb1906.png

London_March1906.png

London_Feb1906.pdf London_March1906.pdf

• Solution
George Thomas

I went through the entire book and did not find any of the other Latin faces. There are two very similar to the line "TRANSLATOR OF LANGUAGES", however neither are the same face; there are noticeable differences.

The two similar fonts are: Latin Expanded and Latin Expanded No. 2, on pages 116 & 117. I think both are also a little heavier in weight than the sample.