The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

John Warnock, type designer?

Thomas Phinney

Seattle, yes, but let’s remember that it was at Paul Brainerd’s Aldus Corp. where Aldus PageMaker was created in 1985.

Absolutely. But Adobe's Seattle operations are the former Aldus. Adobe didn't have its own offices in Seattle before acquiring Aldus. And Aldus was acquired to get their next-generation page layout software that was in development, which eventually became... InDesign. Many key Aldus engineers are still at Adobe today.

(At some point the offices were moved from their former location to the current Fremont location, however.)

Cheers,

T

Si_Daniels

>At some point the offices were moved from their former location to the current Fremont location, however.

I know Aldus started out in the Pioneer Square area - drunks, bums, cowboys and wild women - but enough about the original staff ;-) hopefully TypeCon will have a walking type history tour that will visit some of the landmarks in that part of town.

dberlowgone

"drunks, bums, cowboys and wild women - but enough about the original staff ;-) hopefully TypeCon will have a walking type history tour that will visit some of the landmarks"

Are they embalmed there?

• 6 months later...
Tyoe O

I guess it goes both ways though. I sat in the same row of offices as Robert Slimbach and Thomas Phinney for at least three years and neither one of them ever knew who I was or what I did. In fact I'm pretty sure I could rob Robert in broad daylight and if I faced him later in a police lineup he would say, 'I never saw that man before in my life.' They were both pretty much off in their own world, which is okay, since it looks like they haven't been too harsh on others doing the same.