Join our community of friends of typography!

Folio Bold Extended - The Forgotten Typeface

steviebaby
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

FBE seems to be the lost member of Konrad F. Bauer's "Folio" designs created between 1957-1962. It was used extensively by Universal Studios back in the late 60s to the mid-70s for various TV shows such as THE ROCKFORD FILES, BANACEK, McMILLAN & WIFE, McCLOUD, and COLUMBO (see attatched image). It was never available as instant lettering from Letraset but Letterpress put out a version of it in the late 1980s. I had a 24 pt. sheet but lost it before the wonders of Photoshop and Fontographer became available to me! I have tried many times to duplicate it as working font but original source material (a complete alphabet of a usable size)is impossible to obtain. It's very similar to Swiss Bold Extended but more elegant, in my opinion. Does anyone know why this beautiful typeface has never surfaced as a working font, or why it was removed from the "Folio" family to begin with? I'd be most interested in any and all comments.

bojev

I have a complete alphabet specimen of Folio Bold Extended in an old VGA catalog from 1976 - it is still in a VGA catalog of the early eighties but not as good print quality - contact me by clicking on my name above icon and clicking contact - I will e-mail you a 600 or 1200 dpi scan of the sample - it is 24pt appx.

Uli

"Folio Bold Extended" ("Folio breitfett" was the German font name of the German Bauersche Gießerei foundry) is contained as specimens (uc & lc, figures, and punctuation marks) in the book "Typos" by Ben Rosen, New York 1963, Reinhold Publishing, in the point sizes 48, 36, 28, 24, 20, 16, 12.

bojev

Steve, just found a good 36pt specimen in a collection of specimens I have from Adcraft Typographers from the 1960s - will forward a scan of that to you later, Bob

Bleisetzer

Folio-Grotesk breitfett
Bauersche Gießerei, Frankfurt am Main
Erstguß 1963
K.F.Bauer, W.Baum

It is still produced by "bauer types", barcelona.
And of course they still hold the copyright :-)

In Germany you can find in every second or third old letterpress company lots of cabinets full with it. Its not sold as good as Helvetica or Futura.

Georg

bojev

Checked Bauertypes.com and no Folio Bold Extended shown - why this font got dropped from inventory is still the question.

steviebaby

Guys, so sorry for taking so long to reply. I'd like to thank all of you for the information, and bojev - a special thank you to you for emailing me the FBE scan. I'm very grateful to you all. Regards, Steve.