Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

American Design

andrewkerrb
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Why do Americans insist on using 3D bevel text and script typefaces for their signage.............or am I just seeing one side of things!!!!!

lherrou

Seems a bit like saying "Why do Scots insist on using Flash for their websites?" *grin*

My son worked at a shop that did vehicle and shop signage for two years, and I don't he ever did 3D bevel text. I know he complained about some people asking for script, but often he could convince them to do otherwise, on the basis of legibility.

Dunwich Type

I really can’t remember the last time I saw 3D beveled text in signage. In what part of the country did you see these icky signs?

cosmorphis

Because most of the people doing signage are not designers, but sign companies who don't know any better. Americans are about faster and cheaper, and not always better unfortunately.

russ_mcmullin

Somehow I don't think he was talking about hand-carved, gilded wooden signs. I'm not sure what's up with the different colors in the outlines, but the rest of the sign looks pretty nice.

andrewkerrb

It was a hasty generalisation..............it was my first post and I was happy to get any response....

Hello.

russ_mcmullin

Hi Andrew. Looks like you took the link down, but I was browsing through your website earlier. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the images larger, like The Gateside Inn. I'm a sucker for gilded dimensional letters. You do some very nice work.

andrewkerrb

russ.....that's a v section moulded resin letter.........trajan I think....with threaded rod fixing so it sits flush.

Cheers