Join our community of friends of typography!

Montserrat: all the styles and weights

Riccardo Sartori

photo-original.jpg

Montserrat is a “libre sans text typeface for the web, inspired by the signage found in a historical neighborhood of Buenos Aires” designed by Julieta Ulanovsky in 2011 thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign.

Montserrat enjoyed a certain success as a Google webfont (due, in part, to the superficial resemblance to Gotham of its uppercase) and, while the original design was limited in scope, in time it grew fairly extensive in styles and weights.

For this last reason, and as suggested by @Ralf Herrmann, I wanted to add it to my list of good free display type families.

However, when it came to insert a link that could offer an overview of all the different options, I was unable to find anything suitable.

The official website hasn’t proved very helpful in this regard either, so I will list here all the styles and weights of Montserrat available to download and/or as webfonts.

postal_montserrat.jpg

On Google Fonts:

On Fontsquirrell:

On Brick (webfonts only):

Furthermore, there are some non-free styles and weights, featuring an extended Latin coverage, available directly from the designer upon request.

d852fb4eccbb638f70767d9f3b3cec1d_original.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
davelab6

Hi Riccardo

Sorry for my delay, I only just saw this. Basically the original release with Google Font hasn't been added to in several years. Julieta developed by herself some more styles, and donated them to Google Fonts, and I onboarded them to the Mercurial repo that was at code.google.com; but they had some minor issues and I did not get them all the way through to the public API and directory. But Font Squirrel picked them up at that time. 

Julieta then did a deal with a foundry publisher to make the family available as a proprietary (non-free) family, but I negotiated with her and the foundry to make the latest versions of the fonts available libre, and all future releases will be libre. These files are now available from her Github at https://github.com/JulietaUla/Montserrat with all 18 styles, but I haven't finished reviewing them in order to update the copy in Google Fonts API and directory. Brick is currently hosting this version, and Font Squirrel has not updated yet. 

A concern I have is that, as you mention, the Google Fonts copy is very popular, so I want to make the update the least disruptive to all the existing users as it can be. I can't offer an estimate of when I will finish the review and get the update pushed, as I am working on new multi-script projects that have a higher priority than updates to Latin families. 

Cheers
Dave

• Like 1