Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Gg - Fonts with a cool G/g letterform

Artform
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I'm going to open a can-o-worms here. I think the letter 'g' is one of the few characters that really stand out in a type face. There are a multitude of ways it can be crafted. With so many fonts out there, I look at a few letters -- the lowercase g in particular.

This is how I propose the thread will work. I'm not here to militarize things... just some friend standardization.
1. Go to a font site (I prefer http://www.fontshop.com/ because you can link to samples)
2. Find your font
3. Post a link to it (if possible to the sample) along with the font name.

For example:

Natalie Script OT
http://www.fontshop.com/fonts/downloads/paratype/natali_script_ot/?sampl...

You can also post an image. Let's see your G-sus.

MHSmith

Strangely, the g in Missionary seems to derive from one of the two extraordinary alternate gs in Renner's original Futura, which I was just about to post:

Architype Renner (sorry, tiny showing).

Plus:

Didot Elder

Porchez's Ambroise has the same kind of lowercase g (without the arrowheads on G).

Hey, my post has moved down again.

Artform

I should have been visiting my thread more. This is actually the first thread I've ever started here. Definitely bend the rules... can't have the good without the bad.

@Nick: I like Digitalis - it's got character. Nubian is something I would use daily if I had license to it. ;)

@Grant: I'm not sure if the font in "Meet the g-friends" is Opentype... if it is that's hot. I have a set of Zapfino and keep going through the alternates when typesetting.

@Bald: I agree, the Trebuchet g is quite basic. I think the more a font is used, the more it gets abused. The more it gets abused, the more you want it disposed. Comic Sans anyone?

Here's something I came across today:
http://www.fontshop.com/search/?q=Deviata&sample_text=g&sample_size=388

I don't like how it flattens out at the bottom of the character. It's not noticeable at lower sizes.

Stephen Coles

I think that's merely a bug in our system, Artform. The size menu goes up to 388, but sometimes the window can't quite take an image that large. Try 288.