Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Skin color Emoji coming

• 1 month later...
Ralf Herrmann

I am neither for or against this specific rendering of this Unicode character, but I am really surprised about the discussion around it. The question how to render this character have been around since the introduction of Unicode 6.0 (2010), but now the squirt gun rendition is suddenly wrong because Apple does it? And has anyone who feels so strongly about this ever checked the rest of the 1000+ Emoji for their supposed accurateness regarding the Unicode character name or the user expectation?

Riccardo Sartori
10 hours ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

I am neither for or against this specific rendering of this Unicode character, but I am really surprised about the discussion around it.

I think we have now to aknowledge that emojis are no longer “just Unicode characters”. Likewise, the discussion around them isn’t the preserve of type cognoscenti anymore.

You should also consider the usual level of the debate on the internet (and those who exploit it), especially in the USA on themes like guns, political correctness, and Apple.

That isn’t to say that I will not shudder when I read someone writing that emojis (and the Unicode Consortium) are inherently racist because of the names of U+263A and U+263B. But I will understand that a lack of knowledge is more often than not paired with a sense of entitlement.

P.S.: I’m pretty sure that Microsoft’s old design is a zap gun, not a squirt gun :winking:

Ralf Herrmann
13 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

P.S.: I’m pretty sure that Microsoft’s old design is a zap gun, not a squirt gun :winking:

Could be. Hard to say for sure I guess, since squirt guns will often take on such a design as well. 
But it wouldn’t change my argument anyway. If people now suddenly come to the conclusion, that squirt gun and “regular” gun need different emoji, than a zap gun emoji would be wrong in the same way. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Riccardo Sartori

I wonder if they intentionally took this kind of infinite patches route just to appear busy and justify a regular schedule of meetings…

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...