Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Similar to Trebuchet, what is it?

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

David John Lewis

Hi,

I’m struggling to identity this typeface, it is used for the public convenience in central Hastings, I'm intrigued as it is so similar to Trebuchet.

IMG_3226 copy.jpg

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori

It looks somewhat familiar, but I wasn’t able to find an exact match. The most striking feature is the “cross-less” |t|, also featured, for example, in Ubuntu. But none of the similar typefaces I found have sloped |i|, and very few have a sloped top of |l| (and none has such a shy bottom curve). 

In conclusion, looking also at the rest of the letters, I would say that this is indeed Trebuchet or, rather, a not terrible customisation of it, with a chopped |t| and an |i| modelled after the ascenders.

I can’t say if such thing is available somewhere, or if it was specially made by or for the signmaker.