Join our community of friends of typography!

identify Font from keio line in Japan?

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

Anselm

Trying to find the font that is used for the old signage of Keio subway line in Tokyo.
It's the roman characters for a japanese Kanji typeface. I think it was called "Gunma" or "Goma"...
there is new digitized font called "Shin-go", but it is more angular. I do lik eth clunky baseline and the rounded "e". Anyone? thanks!

216930.gif

Riccardo Sartori

As for alternatives, apart from the obvious Eurostile (that seems to be big in Japan), other than Morisawa’s Shin Go, there is the (just renamed?) New Rodin from Fontworks.

Alas, none of these feature a curved loop on |e|.

• Like 1
Anselm
1 hour ago, Ralf Herrmann said:

Gona is the correct one, i will try to re-build it digitally. thanks so much!

Anselm
53 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

As for alternatives, apart from the obvious Eurostile (that seems to be big in Japan), other than Morisawa’s Shin Go, there is the (just renamed?) New Rodin from Fontworks.

Alas, none of these feature a curved loop on |e|.

Shin Go seems to be used on their modern signage (the e is rounded and some of the odd yet nice quirks are cleaned up, the old stations use Gona. New Rodin is very close, thanks for your knowledge!

• 6 years later...