Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Peters Big game Ammunition

Go to solution Solved by George Thomas,

Ruel Brown

Hello I was wondering if anyone knew a font that was made after the Peters Big Game Ammunition magazine cover  or something that is very close to it? Thank you in advance, Ruel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Solution
George Thomas

The word "Peters" is handlettered. The rest of it might be type, so if you can provide more information about the poster, such as its approximate age and country of origin, it would be very helpful.

It's a very nice poster, by the way; I like the art.

[edit] I did a bit of research. Peters was a US company during the 20s-30s then became Remington-Peters.

Riccardo Sartori

While it’s clear you don’t expect the lettering to be a typeface, it’s less clear if you are looking to reproduce just “Peters”, or also “Big Game Ammunition”.

The second part would be relatively easier, while finding something with all the right quirks for “Peters” would be highly improbable.

Greater Albion Typefounders has produced a vast amount of typefaces (each one of which typically sports numerous variations) based on or inspired by period lettering. Unfortunately the quality isn’t always outstanding, but perhaps you can find something suitable there.

George Thomas

I'm also going to call the Big Game Ammunition line as handlettering because the diagonals where they connect to the vertical stems on the /M's differ slightly between them and so do the /N's, in a greater amount.

So bottom line: the poster is all custom lettering although there are some sans types that might reasonably substitute for the Big Game Ammunition line.