Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Taschen Type Specimen

d0nev

Discussion split from here

I have a two volume book Type. A Visual History of Typefaces & Graphic Styles published by Taschen. It is a type specimen book. They provided an key card to access scans of the specimens. I think I am free to distribute them (I need to read the copyright to make sure I am though). 

So in case you are interested here I can provide them. 

Ralf Herrmann

As far as I know there are no restriction on how to use these images. After all, the copyrights of those designs have expired because of their age. 

But I am not sure if the whole collection as one can be redistributed freely. A collection or “database” can be protected, even if the individual entries of that database are not protected. 

d0nev

As far as I know there are no restriction on how to use these images. After all, the copyrights of those designs have expired because of their age. 

But I am not sure if the whole collection as one can be redistributed freely. A collection or “database” can be protected, even if the individual entries of that database are not protected. 

​The best way would be in case someone needs certain specimen I will provide it here. If I am not providing the whole database I think it would be fine. 

I have attached text files from the two volumes databases listed according to type foundry so you would know what is available. 

The book is very nice and comprehensive and those who are collecting specimens and can afford to buy it I would definitely recommend it. 

Type Vol. I, 1628-1900.txt

Type Vol. II, 1901-1938.txt

Ralf Herrmann

The book is very nice and comprehensive and those who are collecting specimens and can afford to buy it I would definitely recommend it. 

​Indeed. And the quality of the scans is amazing. 

We also have the book in our directory. If anyone wants to leave a review, it would be appreciated: http://typography.guru/directory/books/

Edited by Ralf Herrmann
  • 1 year later...
Elise G

@d0nev I am looking for the high res images / downloads from the TASCHEN book you mensioned. I have the book myself but discovered (to late) that the download is not available anymore on the Taschen website. Could you help me and share the files with me?