Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Fontlab 5 .fea file

I am having trouble with Fontlab5 saving my .fea file. When I first installed it( and without changing anything I think) it was generating .fea files when I generated the font and the formatting was perfect. I am assuming they are generated because they have the same file name as the generated font.  I have tried saving the file through the opentype panel but the formatting is non-existant.

Any ideas?

Hi Ralf,

The auto generated file was readable it was in exactly the same format as it is in Fontlab. eg a new line when a new line was used. The file that was created when I actually saved the features had no formatting at all. My question is how do i get it to make the auto file. I know I didnt save the good fea file but i have no idea of what setting to do it.

I hope that made sense. As examples see the files below. 1 is the good file type auto generated. 2 is the manually saved file. What do I do to make the auto file?

I hope this made sense.

1.txt

2.txt

I just tried opening the files in Word and it seems they are Right justified but  at least usable... a simple case of select all and Left justify works a treat. I had been opening them in Notepad.
Id still to find out how the auto generated files were created though...which are left justified already.

Hi Ralf,

I suppose really the question is :- to your knowledge does Fontlab 5 produce .fea files when a font is generated and how does it do it.

To my knowledge, it does produce them because I know I didnt save those files manually but I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

neilE1970

The Fontlab support team reckon that something went wrong while the font was generating and it left temp files, ie the fea file.