Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Feedback for wordmark made by a web developer

Marcos Sánchez

Hi! I'm a web developer who happened to create a typeface for a wordmark and wanted to look for advice in typography forums.
I combined characters from 4 different fonts and used a few effects. I had access to a great collection of fonts from a graphic designer friend. I couldn't find a typeface with all the desirable features...
I've read that typefaces have a balance that need to be kept and it's not smart in graphic design to combine characters from different typefaces and distort them with effects.
I like the result but I don't know about the spacing (leading, kerning, tracking, baseline ratio), which was arranged by eye.
Your advice is very much appreciated! Do you recognize the used fonts?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y36x1sv3a627zsw/logo.ai

logo.jpg

Riccardo Sartori

Before addressing the spacing, I think you should address contrast modulation, stroke thickness and curves.

For example, |c| and |e| are far less monolinear compared to other letters. Top left of |m| and bottom right of |d| don’t curve properly. |Q| is probably a bit too thick and could be rounder. Also |r| and |t| need some attention.

Marcos Sánchez

Thank you Riccardo! Do you recommend a typeface with these features? It doesn't need to be in italics.

I can see that graphic designers are not necessarily type designers. My graphic designer friend congratulated me for my "font mixture". 

We'll see what we can do to fix it.

Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, Marcos Sánchez said:

Do you recommend a typeface with these features?

What precisely are the features you’re after? If, as it seems to me, you are looking for something in the Bayer/Bauhaus style, you could like one of these more or less recent takes on the genre: Quinoa, Madurai, Nordique (for the first two, look for alternate characters and stylistic sets).

• Like 1
Marcos Sánchez

Thank you very much for your recommendation of the Madurai font!!! It's exactly what I was looking for. I met the sister font Chennai in my quest but I thought it looked too rounded in the edges.

I'm trying to redesign the 15-year-old logo of a family business which has a Windows font. Where I live people don't care about typography quality, the only thing that matters is to have flashy shapes as business identity.

I'm very grateful, sir!

This is what it looks like now with a custom "N":logo_nuevo.jpg

The "N" is a same font size "Sol Pro Bold" character with a vertical scale of 90%. 

Do you think that the "N" and the spacing look ok?

N.pngN_effect.png

spacing.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mig8wtbopri2489/logo_nuevo.ai

Marcos Sánchez

Your help is very much appreciated.

I don't like the alternate "N" because it lacks the roundness to fit with the other characters. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know about alternate characters included with a font.

This is what it looks like now:

logo_final.jpg

I changed the acute accent for a rounded one included with the Sangli font, another sister font of Madurai.

Again thank you very much for your help!