Typography.Guru
Abraham Lee

answered 1870 German Typeface

Abraham Lee

I plan (someday) to digitize this myself, but I'm very interested if anyone has a recommendation for something similar to the main body typeface found in this 1870 German music encyclopedia.

TitleMusikalisches Conversations-Lexicon

Author: Hermann Mendel

Publisher: L. Heimann (Berlin)

Linkhttps://archive.org/details/musikalischescon01mend

Here's a crop of one of my own scans of a hard-copy. I love the book as a specimen as it has Regular, Italic, and Bold text throughout in multiple languages (thank you, music world):

musikalisches-conversations-lexikon-snippet.png

Abraham Lee
58 minutes ago, Ralf Herrmann said:
That style is know as Scotch Roman/Modern. Here are some typical examples of versions available today but there are more. 

That indeed looks like a pretty close match for most glyphs. Other scans seem to suggest the books uses a combination of the Scotch Roman (for numerals) and Scotch Modern (for the rest). Maybe I can run with that until I get around to digitizing my scans. Thanks, Ralf!