Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Old Poetry Book Font Identification

Go to solution Solved by George Thomas,

combs1ng

Font_for_Poems.PNG

This font comes from a page out of a late nineteenth or early twentieth century book of poems. Any help Identifying this font would be greatly appreciated.  A few key letters are the capital 'W' in Wistful, capital 'S' in Simple and lower case 'g' in again and wings.

Thanks,

Nick

combs1ng

Thanks for the quick reply.  It does not seem to be Rivoli. After performing a google search I cannot really find anything for 'eve' or 'eve italic' but I do see 'Eva' and 'Eva Antigua' which seem to be a close match.  Does this seem correct to you.  Why cannot I not bring up anything with an 'eve' search that looks like the font in question?

combs1ng

George T. was a big help earlier but I wanted to post this better picture of the font in question (the first one was a little difficult to see). I not only wish to know what font its is but if I can find it anywhere.  How does one obtain a font that may no longer be active or available through the main streams such as MS word or Google Docs?  George had mentioned that it is Rivoli Italic or Eve Italic.  I cannot find either of these and even fonts related such as Koch Antigua do not have the same capital letters and stylizing.  Any help on finding and obtaining the exact font below would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Nick

Font_for_Poems.PNG

George Thomas

That may be because Eve was never digitized under that name. MyFonts has several different versions from different foundries, on this page: http://www.myfonts.com/search/eve/

Sometimes when a similar-to font is made, there may be some design changes or errors (slight or not) that would influence which one you choose. Otherwise, use the one which is closest and fills your needs the best. Be sure and choose one in OpenType format.

George Thomas

OK, if I had seen this image earlier I could have told you without question that it is Rivoli Italic. Rather than a separate post this image should have been added to your other post.

The capitals have the extra thin stroke (one thick, one thin). The other image was too blurry to tell.

Rivoli Italic does not seem to be available anywhere but I haven't had time to do a comprehensive search. Rivoli Initials are here: http://www.myfonts.com/search/rivoli/ but it is capitals only, and is Roman only.

I will do some more checking.

ETA: Not an exact match, but a similar font is available under the name Eva Antiqua SG here: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/spiecegraphics/eva-sg/

So far as I can find, Rivoli has never been digitized.

combs1ng

Thanks for all the replies George.  Next little question, how difficult/involved is it to get a font digitized?  Is this a fairly easy process or something I should turn and run from?