Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Fixing kerning

Dave Higgins

My company uses their own typeface for a UI, and it's... not great.

The most obvious issue is the kerning. I've never edited a typeface in my life; is it worth trying, or is this best left to the experts? Is kerning-only a reasonable newbie project?

Ralf Herrmann

Is it a free/open source typeface or a commercial one? For the latter changes are usually not allowed and you would have to contact the foundry about it. 

Dave Higgins

I'm not sure.

My idea is to fix the kerning a little and then demo the improvement, motivating a more professional review.

In any case my question remains.

Ralf Herrmann

Well, if you want to start with just a demo, go for it. (If the license allows it)

What is required technically depends on the font itself. If its a Latin 1 font with simple kerning pairs, the technical process of editing and adding pairs isn’t that complicated. It’s all about the design decisions. 

If its a more complex font with many characters and OpenType class-kerning, the learning curve is steeper.