Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Good sans serif pair for Cambria?

Shevek

Hello, this is my first post here.

I have a simple advice. I am currently writing a text book on physics that contains a lot of equations. That makes me use Cambria/Cambria Math for the main text (I'm using Word and I prefer Cambria Math to Latin Modern or other alternatives). I know that Cambria is not the best font for printed material, but I'm sticking with it.

I want a sans serif font for headers and titles that makes a good pair for Cambria. I'm thinking of FF Din Pro Medium (https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontfont/ff-din/pro-medium/ ) that I find similar in color (it's thicker, but being for headers and titles, I like it more than the Regular version) and heights to Cambria. What do you think? Can you suggest a better alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Shevek

Now I have changed to Source Sans, by Adobe, that I find almost a sans serif version of Cambria. (images from identifont)

SourceSansPro.gif

Cambria.gif

• Like 1
Albert-Jan Pool

Why would Cambria not be OK for printed material? The designer, Jelle Bosma did not design it to be used on screen in particular. After all, Cambria is more or less a redesign of Forlane, a typeface he designed for Scangraphic around 1990. We both worked at that company at that time. The similarity with Source Sans is interesting! 

By the way, Cambria Math is used for all ISO-Standards since a few years and national standard-organisations are currently switching to publishing their standards using Cambria Math as well. DIN started to switch to Cambria Math in 2016. An enormous progress when compared with the previous hodgepodge of Arial for text, Times for formulas and the like and Isonorm for lettering in technical drawings.

The only thing I do not like about Cambria Math is that the descending strokes of the old style figures 3, 4 and 5 are terminated with serifs. This emphasises the descending strokes. As a conseqence, numbers in body copy using these old style figures outstand more than necessary and thereby tend to distort the banding effect of the lower case.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...