Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Book with collection of the most common typefaces (fonts)

Theiamania

Hallo everybody,

I really like to have a handbook with the most common fonts collection to have a speed visual reference( as starting point) to choose a typeface for every project. I mean something which shows the most common fonts (number, symbol, character, families, ...).

There are many online resources but in this case a paper book would be perfect!

Suggestions?

Ralf Herrmann

Since there are now tens of thousands of fonts available with dozens being released every week, such books aren’t really feasible anymore. 

Either the choice gets very personal …

… or overwhelming: https://www.amazon.com/FontBook-Typeface-Compendium-Erik-Spiekermann/dp/3930023040/

Having such books doesn’t hurt of course, but as a tool to “choose a typeface for every project” you are missing out on many choices. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Joep Pohlen

Certainly a lot better to explore typefaces. But it is from 1991 and it are only Berthold Fonts and some fonts from other libraries that where licensed by Berthold. I even think that it is set in fototype and not in digital type (correct me if I am wrong!). In 1991 Berthold was already missing the boat in digitizing their fonts for use on the Mac. The book is set by 16 professional textsetting companies and not an a PC or Mac. Some fonts I think even are never published as digital font.