Check out our typography channel on Instagram

This isn't ITC Tiffany, but what is it?

Go to solution Solved by George Thomas,

Abraham Lee

Greetings, all!

A client of mine has been looking a long time for a typeface as close as possible to the one found in the images below. This particular face is used as a title style for numerous music scores done by the music publishing house Durand et Fils in the early 20th century (~1910). The closest my client has gotten to it is ITC Tiffany, but there are numerous characteristics that don't quite match up. The typeface might not exist in a digitized format, but that also would be good to know.

Any thoughts?

Durand-Title-Font-Sample1.png

Durand-Title-Font-Sample2.png

Durand-Title-Font-Sample3.png

Durand-Title-Font-Sample4.png

Abraham Lee

Thanks for finding that, @Riccardo Sartori! It's definitely close, and I think it will help me in my search. Anybody else? I don't have many specimen books, but I couldn't find anything even close in what I have.

Abraham Lee

Thanks, @fontastique138. I saw that and there are definitely similarities, but the letterforms in the images I originally posted are more calm than Ronaldson. I'll keep searching, though. Might be an opportunity for me to create another custom font for my client in the end.

Does anyone have any early 20th century specimen books for publishers in France? I wouldn't be surprised if this typeface didn't come from a French foundry, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Ralf Herrmann

I try to remember to check the french type specimen books when I am at the museum. I guess there is a good chance its a French font. 

• Solution
George Thomas

The font is Wide Old Style, found in the 1907 BB&S specimen book. It has all the character attributes of your samples. Page attached.

[edit] I just noticed that the sample in blue has differences in the /a and /t from the brown sample. The specimen page I attached matches the blue sample. It could be nothing more than differences in design size but I think that is remote.

BB&S TF Specimen Book #9 1907.jpg

• Like 2
Abraham Lee
On 5/10/2017 at 5:06 AM, Ralf Herrmann said:

I couldn’t find a match in French type specimen books. Sorry. 

No problem. Thanks for checking!

On 5/10/2017 at 5:35 AM, fontastique138 said:

Old Style from 1890 specimen book

Great find! Is this specimen available online somewhere (e.g. archive.org)?

20 hours ago, George Thomas said:

The font is Wide Old Style, found in the 1907 BB&S specimen book. It has all the character attributes of your samples. Page attached.

[edit] I just noticed that the sample in blue has differences in the /a and /t from the brown sample. The specimen page I attached matches the blue sample. It could be nothing more than differences in design size but I think that is remote.

Another excellent find! Indeed, this is probably the closest I think my client is going to get.

Thanks so much for everyone's effort!