Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'hungary'.
The Kner Printing Museum has been operating since 1970 in the former house of Imre Kner. The house was built in 1925, according to the sketches of the arhitect and graphic Lajos Kozma, in popular baroque style. The exhibition of the museum show the works of the members of Kner family and the history of the Kner press from its opening of 1882 up to our days. The museum operates only during the summer season. Izidor Kner founded his printing house in 1882. The founder and his sons were respected for their excellent quality of production and high artistic level. Between the two world wars, thanks to these principles, the name Kner came to represent the best publications of Hungary. The second world war put an end to the development of the printing house; several members of the Kner family became victims of the holocaust. In 1949 the printing works were nationalised. 1963 saw a fusion between the printing house of Gyoma and another, Tevan of Békéscsaba. The large, newly created printing house took the name Kner, but the central office was at Bekescsaba. More recent changes of regime in Hungary were followed by changes at Gyoma also, and in 1992 the printing house became a private company.