The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Another typeface used in the Apple-1 manual

Go to solution Solved by CharminArmin,

CharminArmin

Hello,

this is – I swear! – the last missing typeface used in the Apple-1 manual I am trying to re-create. This looks like a super well-known typeface to me and I though "Ha, easy, it's a Helvetica Condensed/Compressed", but it is different. 

Please ignore the "s" in between. This is a different typeface already identified as "Planscribe".

The App "what the font" only comes up with typefaces that look like scans.

Any ideas from the true "gurus"?

Best,

Armin

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-12 um 00.29.25.png

Riccardo Sartori

At a first glance it looks similar to the condensed widths of one of the “American Gothics” (Franklin, News, Trade, etc.), like Alternate Gothic n.2 (also available in a rough version).

However this style has been remade innumerable times, with different names and different details, so a better sample would help in finding the best approximation. From what page of the manual is the sample? There are several online reproductions of the manual available, of variable quality. So it is perhaps possible to source a clearer sample.

Lastly, and perhaps more importantly, the fact that that Leroy Lettering |s| is so neatly nesting between the numbers, make me think they also are technical lettering and not a typeface, thus it is highly probable there is not a perfect digital equivalent.

• Solution
CharminArmin

Thanks, Riccardo. This typeface in only used in the (fold out) schematics. The picture above is the best I could find. From what I can see, that typeface had only been used for numbers, not for any text.

The best match I have found so far is the Alternate Gothic Condensed (ATF) Demi from Adobe Fonts. (which basically seem like your suggestion.

Riccardo Sartori
39 minutes ago, retroplace said:

which basically seem like your suggestion.

Yes, the advantage of ATF’s version are the many weights, that can make it easier to match the appearance (here’s the best PDF reproduction I could find, but probably you already have it).

CharminArmin
52 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

here’s the best PDF reproduction I could find, but probably you already have it

Yes, I know that one.

When I am done with this project – and this is will take a few more weeks – the pdfs that are around will look like the ugly sibling … 😄

• amusing 1