The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Looking for this san serif retro art deco font found on an old sign

Kevin2001

A friend of mine sent me a screen shot of an old sign he found on a stock photo site. He wants to use a particular font on that sign for a new logo I am helping him with. It looks like a vintage "Italianesque" art deco font. I tried to fond it using some of the fonts finders but have not been able to find anything close enough. I can always recreate it myself but thought if I could find a free or commercial resource for a similar font it could save me some time. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 8.03.06 AM.png

Gecko

Jeff Levine has a typeface called "Handmade Gothic" it's 99% there, all that is missing are the little ticks cut out of the U and the N. An easy fixer upper.

• Like 1
Riccardo Sartori

Entitled, from the same designer, has the notches on |N|U|.

For a bigger range of weights, playing with the numerous alternate characters of Refrigerator Deluxe, can bring you pretty close to the sample (except for the |U|, for which one could flip an |N|).

• Like 1
Gecko
11 minutes ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

Entitled, from the same designer, has the notches on |N|U|.

There is also a typeface called Schluber. Very, very close.

• very interesting! 1
Riccardo Sartori

I don’t know how I didn’t realise it earlier, but this appears to be an example of a specific style of poster lettering. Another (if a bit wider) digital version, along with a bit of history and links to several interpretations of the genre, can be found in the description of WPA Gothic.