The type specimens of the world in one database …

we've been hired to repaint this exhibit at a zoo in Nashville but they have no record of the font used as it was a loooong time ago

DLTAD

zoo would prefer us to use the same font if we can find it. free or commercial makes no difference. the original artwork is pretty old but i do believe they used an actual font for the design.

i've ran it through several reverse font engines with no luck. thought i'd try some forums. 

creatures of the americas.jpg

DLTAD
11 hours ago, Kevin Thompson said:

Sorry, not finding a match.

For the lowercase (save for the s), Fournier Italic is similar (not bad for the C, either).

thanks for trying, kevin. i will look into the Fournier.

..anyone else wanna take a stab?

Ralf Herrmann
23 hours ago, DLTAD said:

but i do believe they used an actual font for the design.

I am not so sure. The repeating letters all seem to have subtle or significant differences. 

DLTAD
Just now, Ralf Herrmann said:

I am not so sure. The repeating letters all seem to have subtle or significant differences. 

hmmm. i know it was hand-painted and they probably used an opaque projector. hopefully we can find something that'll work.

DLTAD
Just now, Ralf Herrmann said:

… and there seems to be more text on there, looking even more like lettering:

yes - i didn't include the smaller stuff because they definitely look more hand-painted and don't follow the font as closely. but the main lettering is nice and sharp and i'd be hard-pressed to think they just winged it. i think they traced a font that was projected. i could be wrong but i don't think so..