Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Mercury Records Label font

Ivor

Can anyone possibly help me identify the artist and title font? It looks to be made up of two faces?

I'm putting a book together so would like to nail it. Thanks for any help.

mercury3.jpg

Ivor

It's definitely not a standard face. Can't believe Mercury would do something shoddy so may have been commissioned. It's the O that's particularly strange

Riccardo Sartori
22 minutes ago, Ivor said:

Can't believe Mercury would do something shoddy so may have been commissioned.

In this case I think the technical constraints were the principal concern: fitting all the needed text and stamping it on a pre-printed label.

Typographic concerns don’t seem to have been especially taken into account. See, for example, the total lack of kerning, especially visible in Y/A and Y/a pairs.

Ivor

Labels may have been printed by the same people possibly. But they would have had to use specified typeface. And if different printers were used the face would have to exist in a consistent form.