The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Looking for the font of this Poster designed by Armin Hoffman in 1962

guezmer

Hello guys, new typoguru member here !
I just found this poster by Armin Hoffman for the exhibition of Eduardo Chillida and Mark Rothko in Basel, 1962.
I'd really like to know the name of typeface used for the words "Rothko Chillida".

I find the "th" and the i awesome.

It really looks like Akzidenz but isn't.
Thanks for yout help !

1962_-_Kunsthalle_Basel_-_Rothko_Chillid

Kevin Thompson

Armin Hofmann, who designed the poster, likely hand lettered—or manipulated photo-typeset letters—to create the Rothko Chillida lockup. The th ligature is fantastic, though very subtle.

Folio may have served as the inspiration, though given that the smaller type on the poster is Akzidenz-Grotesk, that works as well.

guezmer

Thanks a lot Kevin !
I wish it was an original font that I could find somewhere. Somehow it does not suprise me at all !
Thanks for all these precious informations !