Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Looking for the font of this Smith Corona Typewriter key legends

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Hi there!

I could definitely need some help from the experts here! I'm trying to identify the font of this Smith Corona typewriter key legends, as I need to recreate and print a few that I'm missing in a typewriter I'm restoring. Please, see files attached (the first one is mine)!

Thank you so much and have a nice day!

P.S.: That 'Q' is so intriguing! 

IMG_0203.jpeg

keyboard-of-an-old-smith-corona-typewriter-AG3M52.jpeg

1 hour ago, MissNobody said:

The most similar I could find is: Caslon Bold Regular

Cheers, Miss! It’s quite similar, indeed. One of my first thoughts was that it could be some sort of variant of the Baskerville font, which ended up not being the case. That Q there…

It’s probably easier to just digitize the missing shapes from high-resolution samples. It’s unlikely that you will find a font matching all those glyphs exactly, as the original prints were probably not made with fonts to begin with. 

• Solution
9 hours ago, guilhermecw said:

That Q there

As Ralf said, even if based on an existing model, the letters were most probably adapted to better sit inside the keys.

Since you already have the |Q|, if you don’t have access to high resolution scans, my advice would be to look at the most similar version of Caslon* you can find, based on weight and contrast between strokes, and then using it to fill the missing letters.

* Look for "Related Typefaces", and then "More…", starting with the ones with a double serif on the |C|.

• 1 month later...
guilhermecw

Thanks everyone for your incredible help! I've managed to come up with a good solution based on the most similar version of Caslon (a mixture of a few, to be more precise) that I could find!