The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Identifying the font in this West Point Class of 1961 Crest

Go to solution Solved by Ralf Herrmann,

binx17

I've been trying to determine what the font used for the "USMA" lettering at the bottom. Apologies for the poor size/resolution, it's a hard to find image. I realize that it's most likely hand drawn, but I'm trying to figure out what the starting typeface might've been or what the artist used as reference.

I need to make a similar design with different letters that aren't not used in the example. I'm trying to start with a typed out font on curve/arc and expand it to just shapes and modify them from there to get a similar overall look.

Any suggestions for a typeface that would pair well with this style are also very helpful. 

If anyone is looking for more context, or are intrigued by these crests, here is a link to all classes. If you click into a class year it will show the crest at the landing page (If they have a digital image for it).

https://www.westpointaog.org/classes

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-03-08 at 8.15.35 AM.png