Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Font on a ship's bell circa 1924 ID?

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

LandyVlad

This is the bell of the ship Centaur, 2km deep on the ocean floor.

The ship was built  in 1924 by Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Greenock  (Scotland, on the Clyde) if that heklps date the font perhaps.  

Looks like a basic serif font, but if anyone can determine exactly which font that'd be super handy.bell-on-centaur.jpgThank you.

Ralf Herrmann

I can’t recognize anything, but even if I could, it’s almost certainly not a “font” that could be identified by name, as those were almost exclusively made for printed matter. Almost everything else was custom lettering 100 years ago. 

• Like 1
LandyVlad

Perhaps someone can identify a font which is close to what is written on the bell.

I'm hoping to get as close-ish match to the style, for use on a website about the ship.

• Solution
Riccardo Sartori
30 minutes ago, LandyVlad said:

Looks like a basic serif font

For what I can see, it looks like a condensed sans serif, not dissimilar from Alternate Gothic and the like.

• Like 2
LandyVlad

Thank you 🙂

Your message contained two identical links - perhaps the 2nd one was supposed to be different?

All good though.

SapereAude

Oops. Yes, the second link was supposed to be different, but now I don't remember what it was. Sorry.