Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Looking for the font appearing on the title page of the book "The Christian Answer"

Go to solution Solved by MissNobody,

• Solution

'T' is Andron.

'he' is Eisen (italic)

'CHRISTIAN ANSWER' is Eisen (regular).

Eisen should be free for personal use at minimum, might be an abandoned font from old OptiFont (CD) collection. Site is unavailable.

19 hours ago, Kevin Thompson said:

Eisen is OPTI-Castcraft's pirated version of Egmont.

OL Egmont is the only legit digitization.

Was OPTI pirating Dennis Ortiz-Lopez or did they pirate a font that's since been abandoned? 

I wouldn't really make a moral case against fonts like the OPTI set, since they're ripoffs of 1980s digitization. Which means that the files that were ripped off have long since been replaced by better digitizations, in almost all cases. The files OPTI ripped off are no longer being sold. And the design is too old to be in copyright, if type designs were protected by copyright.

I'd go for the Lopez version simply because OPTI is a bit crap, outdated, dodgy. For the needs of the typographer, that's much more important to know. But if you have no money, OPTI's better than nothing. 

I keep all that old stuff around for reference, then I'll buy the new stuff for jobs. The OPTI set is a great compilation of retro fonts. But you can't really use them without a lot of work, spacing, fixing some vectors and so on. But typographers should still keep them around, they're a good reference to keep around, in the same way as type specimen books and design books.

But yeah, not really contradicting Kevin's advice, this is just something I've thought about a lot.

• very interesting! 1

OPTI-Castcraft was pirating the original version of Egmont (released as a metal typeface in 1932). I suspect OPTI digitized it from a printed type specimen—not sure if Egmont was ever available in a phototype version.

Dennis Ortiz-Lopez's version is a later digitization (2005).