The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Looking for the font of this Dutch book from 1945

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

John Meadows

Looking for the font of the main text of this Dutch book from 1945: the title is "Veertig Jaar Speurderswerk" and the publisher was Kemink, Utrecht.

I already went through all the automatic options for identification, without luck.

The attached image is from a 600dpi scan.

If you need to see specific letters, just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

font-sample(600dpi).jpg

John Meadows

I just noticed that the regular "j" is a bit longer than the one in "ij" which is a particular combination in Dutch (like a dotted "y").

Which makes me think that this could be some one-off variant, but who knows... to what degree were people using standard designs or variations in the times of lead typesetting?

• Solution
Kevin Thompson

Seems to be New Caledonia, by W.A. Dwiggins and released in 1938 as a metal typeface.

Some details (like the terminals on the f and j) are a bit different in the current digital version, but overall it seems to be a decent match. Could also be the result of a less-than-faithful European copy of the American original.

• Like 1
John Meadows

Thank you so very much Kevin!

And you are right about the f and j, I will try to "restore" those from the original Caledonia (Caledonia is the original from 1938, New Caledonia seems to be the digital version from 1988).

John Meadows

The only trusted high resolution image of the original Caledonia I found is here.

I made a temporary font to approach the original "Old" Caledonia, adapting the j, f, and g (see attachment).

Caledonia comparison.png