Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Looking to identify this book font from 1984, used by Clarendon Press, Oxford

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

Roger the Shrubber

Dear TG Forum,

I am looking to identify the font and weight used in this book: T Aston (ed.), The History of the University of Oxford, vol. 1, 1984. I have included a screenshot showing the main body text and some some italics in the footnotes in the hope that helps.

The book is available on Google Books here:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=AkJO3TAxMtwC&q=etampes#v=onepage&q&f=false

I am interested in acquiring a digital version of this font, or one that is very similar. Free would be nice, but I am happy to purchase a commercial one.

All thoughts and guidance very much appreciated – thank you!

All best wishes,

Roger

Font for identification_Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1984.png

Roger the Shrubber

Thank you very much!

Yes, I see that Garamond has the right italic 'h' and 'y'.  I was not aware that Garamond came without the crossover on the capital 'W', but I see now that it in some versions it does.

Thank you for the observation on weight, ink, and paper. That makes absolute sense. What a shame it is hard to replicate digitally.

Thanks again!

Roger

Second Image.png