Typography.Guru
Shane Mahan

Looking for the font(s) used in LaDow & Spohn Bank Stationers from (maybe?) 1957

Shane Mahan

Hi everyone! I was a member of a forum like this (perhaps this) back in my graphics design era, and have met my match. This sign belongs to my aunt's business, which was passed down to her by her father and which she and my uncle still successfully maintain. Years ago some of the sign's letters were stolen the night of the town fair. I would like to replace the letters as a surprise, preferably of course with exact font & size matches. This means I can't go asking questions about it directly. lol To me it looks like it might be a combination of fonts, of which I've only found 'near' matches. Can you help me?

letters.jpg

letters2.jpg

letters3.jpg

letters4.jpg

Riccardo Sartori

Most probably architectural lettering, with no equivalent printing typeface. 

Looking at the |S|, it is possible that two different alphabets were used, or that the one used had “titling” capitals. 

Your best bet is perhaps to look for a local sign shop and work with them to recreate something similar enough.

Greg Yerbury

Twentieth Century could have been a source of inspiration for the lettering.