Join our community of friends of typography!

Logo Font ID Help (Ferguson Enterprises)

Go to solution Solved by Riccardo Sartori,

zerimar3

Hello all, I'm looking to identify a font used for the Ferguson logo which is in the plumbing supplies industry. From my research earlier today I managed to find ITC Eras which has a very similar letter R to the logo. I would appreciate the help in finding the typeface used, if it was modified based on a font or a close matching font. Thank you.

ferg_id.png

zerimar3

Thanks so much for your reply, it's greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at Univers later this evening. I'm also considering Swiss 721. I'm interested mostly the letter S, so we'll see which direction this will go. Thank you again for your help.

Gecko

Completely agree with Riccardo Sartoris' answer it is "Univers Black", and someone obviously liked the "R" in Eras and tweaked it. 

Zerimar3 you'll find Swiss 721 from Bitstream, almost identical to Univers, but that "R" is peculiar to Eras, which is a slight Italic font.

zerimar3

Gecko, thanks for sharing your thoughts. While I like to R, the S actually caught my attention for a typographic project I'm working on. As Riccardo Sartori stated that the R was custom and possibly stretched; vertically. 

18 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

(also probably vertically stretched)

I am looking at Eras but I do like the S in the original Ferguson Logo. I didn't want something condensed, and thought it was a regular typeface originally. I may stick with Univers Black and see how this project works out. 

Riccardo Sartori
8 hours ago, zerimar3 said:

Swiss 721

6 hours ago, Gecko said:

Swiss 721

That’s just another name for Helvetica, which shares the typical neo-grotesque closed |S| (with horizontal cuts) with Univers and a number of similar designs.