Join our community of friends of typography!

Helvetica Neue: Monotype, Linotype or Adobe, how different are they?

Taitai
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello everyone

I'm doing a job using Helvetica Neue for a client who has specified that it should be from the Monotype foundry. On checking my fonts (in Quark's utilities) it says what I have used is an Adobe Systems Type 1 Postscript font. When I looked online to research about purchasing the Monotype version I keep finding it mostly available as either Linotype or Adobe but Monotype is really rare, other than from 1 US font site. Certain sites imply that Linotype and Monotype are the same so I'm rather confused!!! Are they all different from the 3 foundries?

In addition I find it very puzzling that there is a Helvetica Neue Roman AND a Helvetica Neue 55 (or light and 45 etc) in my drop down font menu as the pairs are each of the same or similar weight. Is this because they are from 2 different foundries that has mixed up in my system (I use Suitcase Fusion)? Sometimes when I get work returned from colleagues having originally used the '55', I find that it's been changed to the 'roman' version or vice versa and I need to change it back again. I am concerned that if I include the Monotype version it'll add another layer of 'concern' to this existing one.

Another thing is, why do one sometimes see the font listed as Neue Helvetica, and Helvetica Neue (reversed order). Other times it's spelt as HelveticaNeue with no space between the 2 words and other times there's a space. Again is this because they are from different foundries?

I do love this font and would like to clear up these points.

Any help and advice would be thankfully appreciated.

Jade

agisaak

Are you on a Mac? If so, the 'Helvetica Neue Roman' is likely the version installed in /System/Library/Fonts whereas the Helvetica Neue Roman 55 is the one you've installed via Suitcase.

AFAIK, the Adobe, Linotype, and Monotype versions all use the same outline data. I'd double check with the client, though.

André

Taitai

Thanks for your comment André. I do use a mac and I have read somewhere that Helvetica Neue is an OSX systems' font on most if not all versions (mine is Snow Leopard). When I've got a moment I'll check in my Library Fonts. I guess that still doesn't help with having to change 55 and roman (and the other weights) backwards and forwards if other people one works with don't realise the difference.

So it seems that there are at least 3 foundries (Adobe, Linotype AND Monotype) for this font then! I will check back with the client as suggested.

Thanks again
Jade

Bert Vanderveen

Foundries cross license their stuff — or at least the three mentioned did that a lot.
I wouldn’t mind if that meant there would be some shopping opportunities as a result (eg a lower price…).

Oh, Monotype and Linotype are part of one big firm.

Taitai

If Monotype and Linotype are part of 1 big firm does that mean that Helevetica Neue from either of these 2 "foundries" is one and the same? I have a copy of the Linotype version in my backup disks.