Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Need suggestions for ladylike but distinctive free 1912 font

BarbaraMcI
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello everyone -- first post here. My sorority is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year, and I've been asked to design some stuff for our local events. The national organization is taking care of all the national things, but our local group has enough money to pay for the printing and that's about it.

We were founded in 1912, so I thought it would be nice to put our programs, nametags, etc. in a font from 1912. I'd like it to be something people would notice and ask about, so I could say "Oh, yes! That was ______________ and it's 100 years old, just like us!" and also decidedly feminine, but not so flowery that it's illegible.

If anyone has any suggestions that are within a couple of years either way of 1912, preferably earlier, so our founders could have used it, that would be fine too. I have about six weeks on this, and if I do end up spending a little of my own money, I guess I could resign myself to that, although I don't have any idea of what this might involve.

Thanks in advance.

Barbara

hrant

Good idea.

Ideally what you want to do is look through the
1923 catalog of the American Type Founders
and see what you like that's available digitally.

But hopefully some ATF-savvy people will help
you find a shortcut to a font that's just right.
In fact here's something that just came up:
https://typography.guru/forums/topic/100458-forwarding

And in terms of overall style,
maybe something like this gem:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48413419@N00/412837790/in/set-7215759457566...

BTW, does you sorority have a mission
that might help narrow down the choices?

hhp

nina

This brings to mind the digitization of Magere Glass-Antiqua that just came out on Google; the original design is from 1912/1913. I'm not sure how good this 'revival' really is but here you go:
http://www.google.com/webfonts/specimen/Glass+Antiqua
Sample of original typeface:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninastoessinger/3515449471/
(FYI, that's my photo, but I don't have anything to do with the revival)

BarbaraMcI

Wow, I just love Glass Antiqua. That may be it right there, but I welcome more suggestions.

Our stated mission is "to create close comradeship, to advance educational, social and philanthropic interests and leadership training; to encourage spiritual development and adherence to the highest moral standards; and to promote lifelong bonds of friendship." Nothing much different from any other fraternal group, I expect.

JamesM

Incidentally your university probably has some actual printed pieces from that time period in their archives (graduation programs, invitations, etc), and they might be useful as design reference.

Where I went to college those materials were kept in a locked room at the library, but anyone could view them upon request. Anyway you might inquire at your library.

> nametags

If you want to be authentic, keep in mind that any handwriting (like a name on a tag) was probably done in script using a fountain pen.

BarbaraMcI

Good thought, JamesM. My chapter was founded in 1931, but it's the centennial we're commemorating, so I don't want to go Deco. The university won't have anything of ours from 1912, but other groups would have had things, and the yearbooks could be invaluable.