Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Where to buy antique typography catalog, first edition ?

This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi,

I want to buy first editions of these nineteenth century catalogs,
to scan them to have the best quality to vectorize ornaments and add them to my Vectorian Pack http://www.vectorian.net

- Gravure et Fonderie Charles Derriey - Specimen Album - 1862
- American Type foundry catalog - 1897 or 1912
- George bruce's Son & Co - 1882

Do you know where I can buy it online?
Or do you know any specialized bookshop that I can contact?

So far, I've just found Abebooks.com for buying first editions.

Thanks,
Vincent

The French foundry I can't comment on; never seen it offered.

The ATF 1897 or 1912 -- watch eBay. The older ones come up about once every 12-18 months.

George Bruce's Son & Co., 1882 -- not much chance of seeing that except rarely, usually at auction. Then you should be prepared to pay a hefty price for it.

Check Oak Knoll Books and The Veatches Arts of the Book; they usually have some specimen books for sale. You can find them through Google since they're both well known firms.

You might also approach a known specimen book collector to ask if they have duplicates.

I have a copy of the 1912 ATF catalog, numbered A3247, in better-than-average shape for a one-hundred-year-old book. One caveat: mailing it to France could in itself cost a tidy sum, since the book weighs over 5 kilos. Reasonable offers will be entertained, if you're interested.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Majus, you're right: ebay is the best place, and I found a a ATF 1912 at 215$, not bad.
Look forward to catch a 1897 :-)

George bruce is untouchable, saw one at 17000$ !
(and I guess that the french market was smaller than the american one, it should be so rare...)

The Veatches Arts of the Book is a excellent Book shop: found a Barnhart & Spindler at 150$ (year 1900).

OldNick, your offer is super nice, thanks a lot :-)
As I got already the ATF 1912, no need to send it to me.
By the way, delive rin France is not that expensive, 50$ in priority box with USPS.

Thanks!
Vincent