The type specimens of the world in one database …

A sensual font that conveys ideas of submission and devotion?

DETEXT
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi,

I am working on a poetry book titled My Master. I am looking for a sensual font that conveys ideas of submission and devotion. I'm looking for a font that doesn't stand out too much, that works well with large bodies of text, somehow reminiscent of a Bible. I'm looking at some Caslons and New Caledonias (I like their weight), but would like to have other recommendations, comments.

I'm pasting an excerpt from a William Blake poem I'm interested in.

Thank you in advance

oldnick

This seems a rather tall order, since your stated desires appear to be working at cross purposes—unless by Bible, you mean a blackletter Bible.

JamesM

Script fonts can be very expressive. Normally you wouldn't set a book in script, but if it's a series of poems, perhaps it might work if you pick an easy-to-read script and set it large enough.

Or maybe just start each poem with a large initial cap in script, and the rest in a more conventional font.

You can also use illustrations and decorative elements to set the mood.

Renko

I'm looking for a font that doesn't stand out too much, that works well with large bodies of text, somehow reminiscent of a Bible.

ITC Weidemann: Originally called Biblica, it was commissioned in the 15th century by the German Biblical Society for a new German translation of the bible.

The Cambridge Bible uses Lexicon nr. 1.

I remember in my younger times, that many catholic leaflets in Austria in the 1960/1970 years were full of Post Antiqua

And there is always Bible Script