Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

rf Ligature

incrediblesheep
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Is there a typeface with a nice rf ligature? I actually can't recall ever seeing rf paired together.

JamesT

Not a ligature per se, but in the project I'm working on at the moment, I've added contextual alternates for "rf" ant "rt"

dberlowgone

@Hrant "Bingo on #2."

Wonderful. And what do you think the "rules" should be for ligating to better word shapes?

@Sii "Really, an rf lig? Barf! ;-)"

Butterfly head, it's on a billion windows machines, should we recall it?

@BV "At least makes for better spacing."

Bert, there's and rt lig too ;)

hrant

I once gave a talk in Thessaloniki about the hidden benefits of ligation, including aiding readability. At least one person though thinks that talk was crap. :-) But he's (still) a friend.

I haven't thought it all through, but I think the best basis would be to go through the lexicon of a given language and for word pairs (or more generally, sets) that have convergent boumas use ligation to diverge them. But it has to be consistent.

For example in English, for "guest" and "quest" the latter might get an "st" ligature but the former not.

hhp

JamesT

@BV "At least makes for better spacing."
Bert, there's and rt lig too ;)

?
The spacing on that one is still a mess. I'm not sure what I plan on doing with it.

brianskywalker

For example in English, for "guest" and "quest" the latter might get an "st" ligature but the former not.

Interesting idea. Wouldn't that be distracting in some cases, at least at first. While that would change the word shape for "quest" in this case, perhaps for better recognition, but it would only really work if everyone made the same choice. What if one designer thought the former should it? I'm not arguing that it wouldn't improve things, but it would only to well if it were adopted by many people.