The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Beginner licensing questions

sefosete
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello everyone.

I would like to use "DIN" fonts mostly on digital and maybe some paper commercial works (reselling design).

I might also use "Blur" on the T-shirts.

Is buying a font type enough for this?

Does a customer need some license as well?

Thank you very much.

s

Karl Stange

There is an open source (OFL 1.1) version released through the OSP-foundry:

http://ospublish.constantvzw.org/foundry/osp-din/

Under this license everything you want to do would be fine. However, you should read through the license carefully first, as if you end up distributing the fonts through digital embedding or bundling you will need to include the license in some form to accompany the fonts.

Karl Stange

Nick, I like iso-metrix-nf, particularly the accented characters, for some reason I am very drawn to the uc 'Z' with acute. It could make a very nice set of flash cards.

oldnick

Karl—

I have a note in with the folks at Fontspring. I would like for them to assume control of webfont and embedding rights to my entire collection, based on a somewhat different pricing model, especially where embedding is concerned.

To my mind, it only makes sense to have embedding licensing fees tied to actual usage, as a fixed percentage of the retail price of the end product, no matter what it might be: eBook, video game, or any other kind of virtual product for sale. My initial thought is 2.5% of the retail purchase price, payable to the font author at time of purchase. In fact, an eBook publishing service—tying together font choice, document prep, publishing to various formats, and promotion considerations, all totaling no more than the standard literary agent fee of 10%—might be another adjunct to the iLUVfonts package, currently under development…

Jeez: I just love my new Mr Coffee Keurig-style brewer; however, I am somewhat reluctant to have a third cup this morning…

Karl Stange

As much as I have discussed this with copyright holders the perspective on why to charge and how much is tied to so many different reasons and usually dependant on foundry or developer specific ideas about the technology utilising their fonts. With ebooks there are a lot of technical issues associated with the security of embedding and this is a key issue for a lot of people.

oldnick

Karl—

So, buy a license and make the flashcards: such use is covered in the basic EULA.

I know that embedding has lots of issues; that's why I have asked Fontspring to handle webfonts and, ultimately, embedded solutions. Of course, they may have taken the day off, since today IS a national holiday. Maybe Tuesday, the good folks there and I can discuss the options at greater length.