The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

japanese & chinese display fonts / webfonts ?

kuttinedge
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

hello!

does anyone know if there is any source for japanese & chinese display fonts - or even webfonts - (if there are any)?

thank you
alex

jasonc

I think you may want to contact fonts.com for this. The issues with Chinese and Japanese webfonts is that you don't want the user to have to download the entire font before seeing anything. I believe that monotype uses subsetting technology to avoid this issue.

Jason C

Té Rowan

Sourceforge.jp has a few font projects that I think you can use as webfonts or, preferably, offer for download and install -- a full Japanese font can easily weigh eight megabytes.

jdaggett

There are several webfonts services in Japan for Japanese fonts but they all operate in a similar way, they either provide fonts with a limited subset of say 3,000–6,000 glyphs or they want to analyze individual webpages and generate a subsetted font based on the contents of those pages.

I think you probably want to ask "why?" a little more to figure out why this is needed because the solutions aren't necessarily simple.