Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Font to go with h&fj Whitney book

Lacie
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi everyone, i'm new here, i'm a second year student graphic design in Brussels Belgium and of course a passion for type (not a type designer just a user :-p) and been reading the forums for quite some time and it helped me out allot in my first year at the academy of art.

I kind of had a question and hope that someone could help me out a bit. I'm looking for a nice "serif" font to accompany H&FJ's Whitney Book (Sans Serif) The purpose is to use it in some poetry text.

I was looking at Verdigris from MVB but don't know if that would be a good choice?...I know the H&FJ site recommends using a serif of their own but i'm looking for some more suggestions...

Also maybe another question, is it okay to use a Pantone color when its getting digitally printed...i printed out (at the print shop) some pages that have a blue background but i can't help but notice that it has this really soft subtle red/pink tint to it...whats the best way to use color in a document for print (digitally)

Thanks everyone for helping

Nick Shinn

I would match Whitney through historical allusion, with another face in the style of the era which it references.

Or through harmonious formal characteristics.
The principal here is: very close or very far apart, but not “sort of” (a little bit similar).

Verdigris is a sturdy face, and, like all single-master serifed faces, the size at which it is reproduced has a huge bearing on how well it works in a layout, or with another typeface.

With printed color, it’s always best to look a sample appearing in the medium intended.
Pantone produces printed specimen swatches that are helpful.

Indra Kupferschmid

I would say, if you want a serif, almost all humanist / old styles work, also some Scotches maybe or more contemporary designs. Depends a little if you want to emphasize the friendliness or counteract it. I like Proforma, Parabel, Tibere, Harriet, Whitman, Page Serif, Really, Elmhurst, Atma, Miller …

johndberry

I have used Whitney as a display face with Garamond Premier Pro as a text face, but this doesn't sound like quite what you're after. Both Whitney and Verdigris are favorite typefaces of mine, though I don't think I've ever used the two together. Might work nicely, though. However, if you're looking for contrast, you ought to have at least two kinds of contrast: not just structure (sans/serif) but also size, or weight, or position on the page, or some other extra way of distinguishing them.