The type specimens of the world in one database …

lettering & politics

fravatta
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hello everyone!
I'm Francesco Panatta, an italian student of gaphic design.
I'm doing research for my graduation thesis, about the relationship between lettering and politics and I need suggestions and bibliographical information on the theme.
Some of the most important cases I found are:
Roman epigraphy;
Carlo Magno;
Romain du Roi;
the use and disuse of fraktur in germany;
Could you please help me with your tips?
Thank you very much for your attention.

Best Regards :)

—F

dberlowgone

There are many more great titles on this topic, but I know what "to follow" means and have not the urge to stick around for what really follows:)

Good luck with our thesis!

hrant

It takes two to tango, and you're just leaning on the wall. :-)

But actually, I have so many hanging "To Follow"s, it's sad. I guess the Gory Days are never coming back.

hhp

fravatta

Sorry, guys, I'm new in this forum and don't know exactly what you mean with the sentence "To Follow".
However all I need are only few suggestions.
Thank You anyway :)
—F

hrant

I don't know how you define "hijack" - maybe I believe freely branching discussions is good for us (and I can't be alone in this). As for "arguing", some people just enjoy it more, and I try to do it for a good cause - when I don't please let me know and I'll try to pull back.

hhp

HVB

@fravatta : To answer your question, "to follow" is a way to keep informed of additions to a message thread such as this one. All you have to do is click on "My profile/ myposts" and the resulting list will show all threads that you've contributed to, and will highlight those that have responses since you last visited that thread. (You DO have to refresh or reload the page to get the most current)

- Herb

hrant

But that can seem like you wrote something and then deleted it; that's why I make my "hook" explicit. And I use curly braces for any "meta" stuff.

hhp

Chris Dean

Both good points. Ha! Get it? Points??

I used to write “Tracking” but that got confused with the typographic term at times. I’ll try something close to Paul’s, only better. Wait and see…

Also, Paul, I noticed you didn’t sign your {To Follow} comment. What gives? ;P

dberlowgone

[see]

Hrant: "I...[]...I believe...[] I can't be alone ... "

I I I I me my me my mine. Sure bud. De post asks for a list of books. Instead of suggesting from what must be an extensive reading list of your own on this topic, or starting a new thread to argue about one aspect of one of the suggestions... this.
Well done, all.
[ïïły]
[£]
[]

hrant

David, don't you realize that I was simply defending myself here? I had no other reason to bring my self into this.

But maybe I should start new threads more diligently. Except I already spend too much time here...

As for recommending specific books, I really couldn't think of one that fits this exact description. Actually, that's not true: Bain and Shaw's "Blackletter: Type and National Identity" - although it's really quite narrow in scope. So/but I'd love to learn of more, hence the "To Follow".

hhp

dezcom

@fravatta
"Public Lettering, Script, Power, and Culture"; Armando Petrucci
"Writing, Society and Culture in Early Rus, c. 950-1300"; Simon Franklin
"Language, Culture, Type" AtypI