The type specimens of the world in one database …

printing books and spreads

DTY
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

I'm working with an author who is self-publishing a book, approx. 120 pages, 8.5 x 11 inches, with color illustrations throughout. He wants around 200 paperback copies, which is fine - any number of good digital printing outfits can do these. However, he also wants to produce about a dozen deluxe copies with sewn bindings in hard covers.

As I see it the most plausible option for digital printing is to produce a second layout with the pages in an imposition order, then output the spreads on 11 x 17 sheets that can be folded. Getting them bound separately is no problem if we could get signatures as F&Gs. However, the digital book printers I've checked so far will only output pages, not larger sheets that can be folded for a sewn binding, whereas copy shops that do 11 x 17 sheets won't do a well-produced bound paperback book.

Does it make sense to do the two runs at separate shops? Or does anyone know a good digital book printer that will also do the larger sheets? Or would it make sense, given the requirements, to print the whole thing offset, despite the short run?

bemerx25

Tricky situation! Yeah I don't have an answer but I'd be interested in what others have to say. I think your idea of doing the two different "editions" at two different shops may be the easiest way to handle it, assuming the difference between the deluxe and standard editions is great enough. Otherwise I'd suggest your last option of getting it all done offset if the budget allows. But I don't really know... :-/

DTY

Thanks, all. I'll check with IBT. The author says he has a binder in mind for the deluxe copies, but I'll see how realistic this is. I agree it's preferable to have the printing and binding done by the same company if possible.